Monday, January 28, 2008

Going through some notes

OK, got gazillions of notes on the last entry. First things first, lets deal with the anonymous ones. My noter seems to think that my comment, "Well, quelle suprize, the holy rollers were less willing to admit promiscuity than the students studying medicine." was presumptuous. Guilty as charged, can't deny it. I was stating an opinion, based on personal observation, with which you are most welcome to disagree. It wasn't a baseless conclusion however, which is my beef with the Cambridge study.

When I was at uni, thousands of years ago, I found that each student house generally contained 4-6 students. There would always be one nocternal psycho, one committed academic, and one hardcore Christian in each house. This is of course a generalisation, and there were invariably some students in each house who either fitted none of these groups, or straddled multiple groups, but you get the picture. I found that the Christians had a nauseating tendency to wear their virginity like a badge of honour, even when, quite frankly, some of them were really only virginal in the very loosest sense of the word.

I remember one female Christian student in particular who constantly claimed that she was a proud virgin, but still shared a bed with a nocternal psycho type serval times a week. She claimed that she "would be cheating God" if she had sex. And I'm quite sure that technically, she never did have sex, but she clearly wasn't exactly innocent either. It is this kind of behaviour that was responsible for the forming my opinion.

I've been thinking further about the Cambridge survey and something new has stuck me. The survey compares academic success across different subjects. I think we can assume that a Theology grade A, is being compared with a medical degree grade A. I wonder if it's possible to compare more and less promiscuous people studying the same subject. I think that would be more meaningful.

Abbey makes the point that people too busy bonking may have less time to study. That's what the study concludes, and it may be quite correct. You can't make the link without evidence however.

Dragonish claims that cappuccino is expensive here. Actually I don't know the price because I never drink it, but I'm going to look through the window of Starbucks on the way home. I just guessed at £3.

And Mr Cat6 Is coming to Oxford. You'll have a great time. It's a great city to visit, about as traditionally British as it gets I suppose. You're about 40 minutes from London by train, so you can experience the worst rail network in the universe. Or you could go by road, very easy from Oxford. I live about an hour from Oxford, and I work about 12 miles away. You're really lucky, I never got any cool trips like that when I was studying.

Sensitive Soul makes a good point, you have to be careful, look hard enough and everything you say is potentially offensive. That's true and it's why free speech is important. No one has the right to not be offended however, it's the price you pay for free speech.

I went to Devon at the weekend. My mother reminded me that I need to buy new tax for the car. Long story, but I'm actually driving my father's car you see. My car is in dry dock. I haven't got around to registering my father's car in my name, and they sent him the tax reminder, because they don't know he died. So, I have to go and shell out £180 or something obscene today. It's lucky mother reminded me or I would have parked an untaxed car at Heathrow airport for 2 weeks, which would have been certain death.

I found a leather bound copy of Edgar Allen Poe stories in my father's things and mother said I could have it. It's a lovely book. I think I've probably read most of the content at one time or another, but the book is special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home