Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Slightly stupid

Two notes yesterday, both of which suggest I should change my bank. I did think of this of course, the problem is that all banks here appear to make life as difficult as possible to open accounts. It makes one wonder just how they stay in business doesn't it. Had I decided to switch to another bank I would have to go through the same procedure myself. I could provide the necessary details, but we would still have the same problem with the dragon. I will be writing to the bank again with my views about this and I'll keep you informed.

Talking of the dragon, she seems to have an idea about starting her diary page again. She wrote about three entries and then lost enthusiasm. I think the new life on the other side of the planet is prompting her to start again.

Life here in the manual writing business is pedestrian. They've shut me away in a little room by myself. I don't mind that; it means I don't have to interact with the natives. NOt that the natives aren't nice, they seem very friendly so far. I have a constant desire to make fun of the Welsh accents all around me, but that would probably not be advisable. The hours are funny too. I have to start at 7.45 and finish at 4.30. It takes an hour to get here, but at least I am home early. I also only work half a day on Friday, so it's like a long weekend. I could do without paying the Severn Bridge toll every day, but I can claim it back on tax I understand.

It seems the Lords have trashed the id cards bill again. I heard the argument this morning as I drove here. The government are claiming that the scheme is voluntary because no-one has to have a card. Anyone that wants a passport however will be required to register and provide biometric data. This effectively means that 80% of people will have to have the card. The Lords have seen through it however and sent it back. It also emerged last week that 24,000 DNA records exist on police computers from juveniles that were released without charge. That my friends is outrageous, though there are moves afoot to remove these records from the database. My question would be, how did they get there in the first place?

Tony Blair is in some trouble at the moment. He's trying to get his unpopular education reforms through and he has rather staked his position on it. I wouldn't be too confident that the Labour party doesn't call his bluff. There are plenty of people who would like to see Gordon take over. The Telegraph this morning is forcasting a rebellion of MPs over the id card issue.

You know, I did something slightly stupid. I packed all my software into a box in Taipei and mailed it to England by sea. I suppose I have some excuse for my actions since I was expecting to have a working computer when I arrived here, but I really should have had more foresight. It's been 2.5 months now and it hasn't arrived yet. It must be imminent I think. I do hope so. I have no DTP packages.

3 Comments:

At 4:04 pm, Blogger Richard said...

Apparently the Bank account opening fiasco is due to a tightening of money-laundering laws...

 
At 9:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there was an intersting small thing in Computer Weekly this week about that id cards would cost govermant around £500 per head and that to provide each head with ipod instead - only £140...does make one think of the possibilities endless, eh? in the end of a day you can store all the same info on ipod AND enjoy ur music too. what's the use of id card, if there is no music on it? ;-)

 
At 12:15 pm, Anonymous Lol said...

Hii

 

Post a Comment

<< Home