Monday, January 29, 2007

After the weekend

I didn't have a great weekend, but I'm not going to dwell upon that here. Dumpy enjoyed his visit to Devon, and I think his Grandparents enjoyed seeing him. He's not eating as well as he was. I don't know why that is. His schedule did get a bit screwed up over the weekend, which won't have helped. He also seems to be very tired at the moment. It's probably nothing. He did drink a lot of milk for breakfast this morning, so that is a good sign I think.

John Reid is now about as popular as a dose of clap and is trying to save his position by telling everyone that he was expecting these problems in the Home Office, and that we should stand by for more. My personal view is that his job is fairly safe because there's no one else to do it, and no one in their right mind would take it on anyway.

The Sun newspaper, not normally known for taking the moral high ground, is causing something of a fuss over a proposed plan to put x-ray cameras in lamp posts. I don't know why this has become an issue really since no one has suggested that the idea is anything other than dim possibility in the future. It's been suggested that x-ray cams positioned in the street could help police spot people carrying weapons or drugs. The technology already exists and is in place in some airports. The problem is that it can see through clothes.

My personal view is that these cameras are little more intrusive than the standard cctv cameras that watch my every move. I object to those for the most part, though I do see that they have some value in detering scumbags. I can't see that looking through people's clothes will be any more effective. Even if a gun is spotted, there's still the issue of getting to the carrier and disarming him. Then of course, it could have been a gun shaped lighter and not a gun at all. On the other hand, it could be more effective than a standard metal detector at an airport. My view; don't waste public money hanging the damn things on lamposts, use them at the airport if you must. I still think flying naked is a better option.

***

Yet another day has passed without me getting around to posting what I wrote. It's the pressure of parenthood. Dumpy managed quite a bit of milk yesterday, and I'm hoping this means his appetite is returning. He was difficult about breakfast this morning, but still managed nearly all his milk in the end. I keep meaning to look up loss of appetite in my baby manual, but I haven't yet done so. I'll have a look tonight. It could be that he went mad and ate loads when he recovered from his stomach bug and he's just now settling back into a routine.

The news is still full of Home Office crisis today. The prisons are full and perverts, scum bags, and muggers are escaping all over the place. Does anyone really believe that it is possible to rehabilitate people in prison? Logically, is the best way to rehabilitate an offender to lock him in a confined space with other offenders? Seems like a long shot to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home