Monday, August 07, 2006

Oxford

On Saturday we took a trip to Oxford. My new office is close to Oxford and it's a lovely city. So we might, at some time in the future, relocate there. The dragon likes it because there are traditional shops. In particular there are excellent butchers.

The little chap likes it also apparently...



I don't really intend to mention my new office on these pages. It hasn't been mentioned specifically, but quite a few employers object to blogs, and I have no wish to bite the hand that is about to feed me. I'm going to mention it today however.

I received my confirmation letter on Saturday morning. It confirmed my offer of employment, subject to satisfactory references and proof of right to work in the UK. The letter did not explain what type of references were required of where to send them. Neither did it explain what constitutes proof of right to work in the UK. Enclosed was also a copy of my contract to sign, two appication forms to complete, and details of how to complete the on-line screening process. I've signed the contract already, but they didn't tell me where to send it, so it remains on the dining room table. I have also completed the on-line screening process, though it was supposed to be completed no later than 4 Aug according to the letter, and I received in on 5 Aug.

We went up to White Horse Hill on the way home from Oxford. Not only is this one of the oldest chalk monuments in the world, about 3,000 years, it's also excellent kite flying country. So we spent an enjoyable hour or two flying a couple of kites. The little guy enjoyed this. He has recently discovered the joy of riding in the sling. He has expereinced the sling before, but up to now he has only been allowed to face towards Mummy or Daddy. On White Horse Hill he faced forwards, which is aparently much more fun, especially when kite flying.

The really big news this week however, is that he's started eating solid food. He's had baby rice and some pureed apple. I think he liked the apple, but the jury is still out on the baby rice. He's still drinking formula milk, and he seems to fart more/ Other than that, all seems normal.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just had to comment: such a cute baby!

references and right to work in UK are the normal parts of employment procedure. right for work would be your british citizenship, normally if you'd put in applic form you re british, that should be enough and no additional documents needed (alternatively, National Insurance number might do)
you were supposed to put at least two names for references. so that they can contact them and ask if you are what you say you are. sometimes in my experience, the company satisfies if you put your previous employment address in applc form. in this case they will contact their personnel dept or someone else...i think, you know this anyway. as long as the job will pay the bills, anything else could be tolerated, methinks ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home