Thursday, May 11, 2006

Nimby

I thought our little man had learnt to sleep through the night last night. I fed him at midnight, and I didn't hear him again until 5 this morning. I was wrong however, the dragon got up around 2.30 apparently. Altogether, not a very good night afterall. He has this thing now where he seems to sleep between about 7 or 8 pm until midnight. Now why can't he sleep between midnight and 5 am?

I was right yesterday whan I said Gary McKinnon, the hapless London hacker, was likely to fail in his attempt to avoid extradition. His defence of, "I did it, but it was morally sound because I was looking for supressed UFO pictures", was deemed unworthy. He's apparently going to appeal, nutter.

Do you know what a NIMBY is? I didn't. It stands for Not In My Back Yard, and it's apparently the in-vougue acronym for people who routinely object to housing developments in their areas. New "Community Secretary" Ruth Kelly has pledged to fight the nimbies and get new homes built. Apparently however she has a history of nimby activity herself and has been accused of hypocrisy by just about everyone.

It occurrs to me that Gordon Brown is an extremely powerful man at the moment. If Brown was to resign, or die, or simply announce that he no longer wanted to take on the role of Labour leader, the Labour party would collapse. Blair has pledged to go, though not when, and he is liekly to be elbowed out even if he doesn't go quietly. If Brown doesn't step into his shoes, who else could do it? John Pescott maybe. It was postulated in the Telegraph editorials yesterday that Brown should have already threatened to resign over the issue of Blair not going. What would Blair have done? I suspect he would have let him resign.

I have an interest in the antics of animal rights loonies as you know. There are two stories concerning this issue in the news currently. The first became headline news in late 2004 when the grave of Gladys Hammond was dug up and the body srtolen. Ms Hammond was the mother-in-law of the owner of a farm that bred guinnea pigs which were sold to animal testing labs. The grave robbers attempted to blackmail the Hammond family, promising the return of her remains only when moves to close the guinnea pig farm were made. The farm has since closed, and a tip off did result in the discovery of Gladys Hammond's body. It's not very clear whether the farm closed as the result of pressure from animal rights loonies or other reasons. Four people are awaiting sentencing now for the campaign to intimidate and blackmail the Hammond family.

I'm astounded that even animal rights loonies are prepared to rob graves over guinnea pig testing. It now seems likely that three of the four accused can expect jail terms of 12 years, the other was the one who tipped off the police about the stolen body, and can expect 6 years. Martyrdom over guinnea pigs, unbelievable.

The second story concerns letters send by the Campaign Against Huntingdon Life Sciences to shareholders of GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) informing them that their personal details will be published on the internet unless they sell the shares. This is complicated, so pay attention. GlaxoSmithKline is a large drug company and a business partner of Huntingdon Life Sciences, who perform animal testing. A significant number of shareholders were sent letters and telling them they had two weeks in which to sell the shares.

There has been an effort made to protect the privacy of shareholders but the scum sending the letters already seem to have addresses, so I am guessing that it's too late. I wonder how they would ascertain whether shareholders had sold their shares. Also, if shares are sold, does this mean that the buyers of the shares become targets? Will this essentially go on forever? Usually I can laugh at animal rights idiots because they are just idiots. Sadly, these idiots appear to be really vindictive idiots.

What the hell does "making indecent images of children" mean? I just read that actor Chris Langham has been charged with this offence. I think Gary Glitter was also charged with this. What is it? Does it mean pasting a picture of a child's head onto a picture of a naked adult's body? If that is the case, why the hell is it illegal? Is it drawing a picture of a naked child? Again, if so, why is it illegal? In neither of those cases has a child been abused. I can't see how a child can ever be abused in the "making of indecent images" unless it means taking pictures of naked children.

I'm still here contracting in South Wales and I just heard that they want to extend my contract again to the third week of June. I suppose this is good, but frankly I'm amazed since I'm not actually doing anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home