Monday, March 14, 2005

We've been Googled

OK, the first thing to say is, not a lot hapened this weekend. We didn't go anywhere or see anyone. We did start packing things, which isn't much fun. The move to Hsin Tien will take place in April. But in preparation for our move to UK which I think will happen in December or January, we are already putting things into boxes. I think the dragon is feeling a bit stressed about this, the packing I mean.

On a distinctly positive note, we ate sushi last night which I think should be done at least once every weekend. We also consumed some fine chilli produced by my sister in law. She intends to take a trip down south to Kaoshung and sell it to people attending a festival of some sort there. Not sure when it is, but the chilli is good folks, so go and try it if you're in the area.

DongXi.org managed to find it's way onto Google this weekend. The site did undergo a few minor updates which introduced some bugs. So, I hope to have time to put that right tomorrow. No time tonight because we're going to see Norah. I hope I can get a few pictures while we are there. The dragon is very excited about this but is pretending to be very casual about it.

I found a pirate copy of the new, as yet unreleased, Dr Who episode over the weekend. I realise that I shouldn't really be downloading such things, but I'm not in the UK and therefore don't have access to the BBC. And I still do pay tax there, so I think I'm entitled to view the product of the state network. It's not good, the episode I mean. Maybe it's supposed to be a bit stupid like Dr Who always was. But I was sort of hoping that it would be a little more sophisticated than shop mannequins coming to life. It does have promise though. I couldn't see the sets moving as the doors slammed. And Billie Piper was actually pretty good (has she put weight on?), as was Christopher Eccleston. I'm ging to reserve judgement on this one until I see some more episodes.

The Chinese anti secession legislation that would allow China to use force agianst Taiwan to prevent any chance of the island becoming independent, has been passed. I am wondering whether this is Beijing's first step towards an invasion. I can't think that China would attempt a stunt like this so close to the Beijing olympics. Would everyone have forgotten a conflict by 2008? The people of Taiwan are somewhere between angry and terrified. A rally, expected to attract hundreds of thousands of people is expected to take place on 26 March. That's the day we return to Taipei from London.

I am an outsider here, but I do know the people. I think the average Taiwanese person, while not wanting to be part of China, is willing to remain Chinese, at least in name, to avoid the conflict. No-one wants a war and Taiwan has seen its fair share of violence in the past. Some people can still remember the massacre that took place here in 1949. No-one really talks about the events which left thousands dead, though 28 February is set aside as a day of rememberance.

Few people realise that Taiwan has never really been ruled by China, despite China's claims that it is part of the mainland. After the war there was a very short period of Chinese rule after the island was taken from Japan. It was a disaster and culminated in the massacre mentioned above. Since then Taiwan has governed itself. Before the war it was a Japanese territory. Some would say that the Taiwanese feel more Japanese than Chinese. I think I would agree.

There is no time for any more today. Look out for tomorrow's report on the concert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home