Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Lot of it about

Heard in the office today:

"That's the thing about history, there's there's an awful lot of it."



The list of huge high street names going bust is getting longer every day. Today the last of the Woolworths stores closes, Adams has closed over 100 stores, Zavvi has gone into receivership, MFI has closed its last stores, and Wedgewood is the latest casualty. Soon only Tesco will be left. Marks and Spencer and Debenhams have both announced losses, and M and S is closing stores. I just read also that Barclays is laying off hundreds of people in the city.

It's snowing again by the way. I nearly killed myself skidding across an icy pavement as I walked (glided) to the station this morning. My greatest fear now is that the trains will stop due to snow and I won't be able to get home. Actually it's not going to happen. There is just a little dusting on the ground, and it's not coming down hard. I'm seriously considering changing my travel policy and reverting to road transport. Petrol is cheaper now and train fairs are up 6%. I bought a season ticket for January at 2008 prices, but the new price is not only going to be 6% more expensive, they are also talking about removing the 10% discount I currently get for renewing my season ticket, so it could be a huge rise altogether.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home