Monday, October 22, 2007

Kitchen God with Pictures 

I've had a few days off work. Originally I just wanted to take a day off to oversee the replacement of a couple of radiators. I don't do central heating, so I called a chap in. That cost me £350, but two radiators have been replaced, and just before the cold weather started. That was last Wednesday, but I took Thursday and Friday off too. It gave me a chance to finish building the kitchen. Phase III is now complete. I've plumbed in a new sink and everything.



Phases I and II were completed some time ago of course. We now have a fully functional kitchen.



I even got a kitchen God award from my wife, hand made from copper water pipe offcuts:



How special I feel.

When I say I have finished building the kitchen, that is in fact, not entirely true. I've done the tough stuff. There are still no handles on the doors and drawers. There is a cornice to fit. I need to box-in the extractor pipe. The towel-rail cabinet needs finishing. Working surfaces need screwing down properly, and I want to put a baton under the wall cabinets to add support and cover the gap beneath them. I also need to put a cover over the void beneath the cooker, and put an edging strip on the exposed end of the working surface by the fridge. That didn't seem very much until I typed it. None of it is difficult. I also need to get the tiling done and remove the mountain of garbage from the garden. I won't do the tiling myself. I also need to get a skip (dumpster) to remove the garbage mountain in the garden.



***

Yesterday we went to the local steam museum because Thomas the Tank Engine was scheduled to be there. I was alerted to the fact by temporary road signs declaring "Day out with Thomas and Friends". While it did sound appealing, there was no telling what the "day out" actually was. It turns out that Thomas is in fact a real steam engine which lives at the steam museum. He was all fired up and so was his friend, the green one. Is that Gordon or Percy? Probably doesn't matter. We discovered this by looking through the fence. It looked quite fun. However, one blast of Thomas' whistle was enough to put the fear of god up Dumpy and prompted a 30 minute screaming fit. We abandoned the idea of a closer look. Instead we looked round the neighbouring outlet village for an hour or two.

***

As we prepared to go and see Thomas, I found a penny on the ground outside our home. I considered this to be a lucky omen. Later, when putting away the car that same evening, I found £1 in almost the same spot. I put the £1 coin in my pocket (I think) and forgot about it. I don't know how it happened, but this morning Dumpy handed me the same coin when I went in to get him up. I know it was the same coin because it looks like it has been buried for a year or more. This is clearly a sign, and I'm going to buy a lottery ticket.



There is more I want to write, but this is already a monster entry. Perhaps tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 7:31 pm, Blogger Richard said...

Kitchen fittings look very impressive...now you also need to paint the walls a colour other than yellow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home