Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pancakes

Pancake day; we made the batter last night and we will be introducing the dragon to the joys of British style pancaakes tonight. What have pancakes got to do with Lent? Why does pancake day always come before Lent?

THe window squirter things on my car aren't working properly which is really annoying. I was hoping they were just frozen up, but I'm not sure. I drove here with near zero visibility.

I found three more recepticles for tomatoe plants yesterday, so that's now 20 little plants. I have found some recipes for tomato ketchup. I could be jumping the gun here since I don't have a single tomato yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Last night the dragon confided in me that she is convinced the baby will come early. I think she's just scared. But we are ready for it now anyway, so I think coming early will be an advantage in a way. If he comes before March 26th, I guess he'll have to send Mummy a mothers' day card. So I say any time after that is good. Actual ETA is 1st April. Well, it could be 3oMarch, or 3rd of April. We had a few differing opijnions.

Tessa Jowell is in so much trouble. Even the PM, who usually supports his ministers when they stray from the path of honor and teeter on the edge of the forest of corruption, has failed to confirm that he believes she followed the ministerial code. Jowell's husband has apparently accepted a large amount of money which may or may not have come from Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian PM. The Italian authorities are calling it a bribe and are taking jowell's husband to court. He could end up in jail if found guilty. Jowell herself signed a mortgage document for the home they both own, apparently to allow the transfer of the money.

What the hell was she thinking? Even if this is perfectly legal and above board, didn't she stop and think that maybe it looks a little odd. Didn't she think she ought to make things a little more transparent? I thought the most hysterical thing about this affair however, was the fact that David Blunkett, who was forced to resign a cabinet post twice for odd business activity himself, came out in support of Ms Jowell. Blaunket is quoted in the Telegraph as saying, "It has nothing to do with Tessa Jowell what money David Mills (Ms Jowell's husband) may or may not have earned. Mr Mills's business dealings had nothing to do with Miss Jowell's role as Culture Secretary." So, according to Blunkett, hyperthetically the culture secretary can sign finacial documents to allow a bribe from the Italian PM to be transferred to her husband's account, and it has no impact on her parliamentary role.

London Mayor, Ken Livingston has just made a statement regarding his suspension for remarks he made to a Jeewish reporter that was hounding him. I don't agree with much Ken Livingston preaches, but I believe he's decent and I think tis campaign to blacken his name has done no one much good. I support him when he says that no democratically elected figure should be removed without the support of the electorate.

Pete Doherty has been arrested again, this time in connection with a car theft incident. I can't believe that someone with so much raw talent can waste it so blatently. I'm all for a bit of anti-establishment behaviour, but the guy is nuts.

2 Comments:

At 11:05 pm, Blogger Richard said...

I thought that the purpose of making pancakes was to use up all of the staple cooking ingredients, getting you ready to fast for Lent.

I wasn't prepared enough to make the batter last night, but will still be making pancakes tonight.

Yum.

 
At 11:07 pm, Blogger Richard said...

Oh, and watch out if your windscreen washer fluid has frozen. This happened to me a few years ago and the ice broke the spray pump thing. Either that or the ice caused it to burn out when I then tried to use it.

Not the most expensive repair thankfully.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home