Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Yes, another one!

We have 2 more typhoons heading our way. I think the first one will hit us tomorrow sometime. They say that winds are gusting up to 63 m/sec. That sounds prety rapid to me. It's probably not as forceful as Katrina, currently lashing the southern coastal states of US. Why is it that storms always "lash" places? Why can't they sometimes "ravage" a town, or "maul" or "devastate" a city? It's another news reporter cliche like "war torn" and "famine striken" I suppose. If I was a reporter I'd make an effort to bring a few new phrases into common use.

I just saw some footage of Marilyn Manson picking up a Kerrang award. I know nothing about the guy other than the fact that he annoys the self-appoint moral guardians of our society. That gets him a vote from me anyway. He was really quite eloquent I thought. Looks like a weirdo, but I guess that's OK with me too. I remember reading something that Alice Cooper said about Manson a while back that made me laugh. It was along the lines of, "Gives himself a girl's name, puts on makeup and sings heavy rock, that's original". Alice Cooper is more my era.

What is the attraction of rebellion? There must be some genetic/evolutionary reason why some poeple rebel. I think I'll work on that.

There is a new British Bog Snorkelling champion today I notice. It's a strange event that has come to represent the eccentricity of the British people I think. Competitors are required to swim two lengths of a peat bog, 60 yards long, using unconventional swimming strokes. I have no idea what "unconventioanl swimming strokes" means. Sounds like a rather vague description to me. Read about it here.

And the thought for the day is this: 50 years before Harry Potter started at Hogwarts, Tom Riddle was Head Boy and Professor Albus Dumbledore was the transfiguration teacher. Does that mean all is not what it seems?

1 Comments:

At 5:42 am, Blogger Richard said...

We do not understand your Hairy Porter comment.

(Thanks for the chopstick clarification by the way)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home