Monday, April 18, 2005

Are you reading this Mark?

I've mentioned Mark McGowan here in the past. He calls himself a "performance artist" but has always struck me as an irritating little shit with no imagination and a large amount of hugely misplaced self-confidence. His past exploits include:

Sitting in a bath of baked beans with sausages on his head and chips up his nose to promote the Great British breakfast.

That's original!

Strapping a turkey to his head and shouting at fat people to draw attention to the British obesity problem.

Certain lack of consistency here I feel.

Rolling a peanut with his nose through the streets of London in an attempt to get Tony Blair to cancel his student debt.

So you're special and deserve different funding from everybody else do you Mark? If you got off your fat arse and did some work instead of rolling a nut through the street, I'd suggest you might be able to make your debt smaller.

Eating a fox either in support of the hunting ban or to protest against it, I can't work out which.

It would seem to me that a protest loses some impact if the cause is not well defined.

And there are other equally shallow, attention seeking stunts, just too boring to mention. Up until now Mark has just been another mediocre art student looking for his 15 minutes of fame and largely failing to find it. Today however, he crossed the line between being irritating and being a real tosser. His latest project seems to have taken the form of scratching 50 random cars in two cities. This idea came to him apparently after his sister's car was keyed. He plans to exhibit pictures of himself scratching these cars in London and Glasgow.

Here's the story.

Of course, I'm a peace-loving guy and I wouldn't suggest that anyone hurt Mark in any way. But if I was Mark, I'd be slightly worried now, since his name and picture are all over the internet and he will be hosting exhibitions in London and Glasgow so people will know where to find him. A simple Google search actually turns up quite a bit of personal information. I've got an email address and I will be sending him this link, so I'll keep you updated on that.

Clearly McGowan is either mentally retarded or simply a criminal. My money is on the former, but either way he should be locked up, either in a mental or criminal institution until such time as he can behave in a socially acceptable manner. Being an idiot isn't a crime, being an idiot who vandalizes property indiscriminately is unforgivable. I hope they throw the book at you Mark. I might even come and visit you.

1 Comments:

At 4:00 pm, Blogger Richard said...

Maybe someone can 'artistically' beat the crap out of the guy and record the event. The thing that irritates me the most about this branch of "art" is the fact that it does provoke a reaction in people, thereby allowing the "artist" to turn around and say "look it is art, see how it provoked the response I wanted".

Grrr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home