Monday, January 25, 2010

I broke the teapot and I want to be an astronaut

I get irritated by academics that talk tripe. Lord Rees, chief astronomer, is in the news today for making the following earth-shattering comments:

"The chance of discovering life on other worlds is greater than ever."
Not really surprising sine we get better and more experienced at astronomy every day.

"such a discovery would be a moment which would change humanity."
Err, yes it would.

"It would change our view of ourselves and our place in the cosmos."
Profound.

"I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms that we can't conceive."
How did he get to be chief astronaut?

"And there could, of course, be forms of intelligence beyond human capacity, beyond as much as we are beyond a chimpanzee"

You haven't made a single intelligent comment in this whole article. How much are you paid out of the public purse? I want to be chief astronomer.

It seems that the youth of London will be offered ID cards from next month. Apparently the cards can be used in place of passports when travelling in Europe and can be used as proof of identity when buying age-restricted goods. Odd that they chose to describe these benefits in their marketing spiel. I thought ID cards were essential in the fight against terrorism and identity fraud. ID cards were rolled out in Manchester and the north west late last year. The government hoped that they would be popular but we haven't heard much about it. That's because they have not been popular. So far, around 2,700 have been issued. Greater Manchester alone has a population of around 2.5 million. So, that would be around 0.1% take up then, awesome.

I'm broke, due to huge levels of expenditure in the last two months. I still have to find money to get my PC back and pay car tax. I do however get paid today, so prostituting myself on the streets of Swindon has been averted for another month.

In other news, I dropped the lid of the teapot on the kitchen floor and broke it yesterday. But on a more positive note, I got around to installing an extractor fan in the bathroom. I was super-clever about it because I ran the flue up the old kitchen chimney. No need to knock a hole in anything! Sadly, it currently only works when the light is turned off, which I admit is not ideal. I'll fix that though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home