Thursday, January 14, 2010

EVA Air are the worst run airline in the world

It's been a stressful couple of days. The Dargon was booked on an EVA Air flight out of London on Tuesday evening to go to Taiwan. I worked from home that day so that I could drive her to the airport in the evening. However, by lunchtime on Tuesday we discovered that EVA had overbooked the flight and she couldn't get on it. It was lucky that I called them to confirm that she would need a child's meal for the boy. They told me they couldn't find her on the passenger list, so we went straight over to the travel shop to find out what was going on. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth before it was confirmed that EVA Air is indeed the worst run airline in the known world and is staffed by complete bastards.

Luckily our man at Flightlinker is nothing short of a hero. He found an alternative flight with Cathay the following morning at no extra cost. He even delivered the tickets to the door at 7pm, checked them in, and supplied sweets for the journey for the boy. Thanks buddy, you are the best.

However, at 6am yesterday we awoke to find a fresh 10cm of snow. I wasn't sure I could get them there by car. I wasn't sure the flight would leave, and since it was still snowing, I wasn't sure I would be able to get home. I figured however that a string of bad luck can't last forever and decided to give it a go.

I was wrong about the string of bad luck. As I was loading up the car I managed to drop my keys in the snow and lose them. Ten minutes searching in the half light did not turn them up, so I made a management decision; leave the keys where they are, look for them when I get back and use the dragon's set for now. I reasoned that nobody else was likely to find them if I couldn't. It was still snowing after all.

So, after a particularly frightening drive into London that took about twice as long as usual, I got them to the airport, confirmed that the plane would take off, checked their bags back in, said my goodbyes, and got the hell out of Dodge in the hope that I could still get back.

My original idea was to go to the office rather than return home. But the missing keys and the continuing snow conspired to force a change in my plan. So I arrived home, still relatively early and, you'll be pleased to know, after about ten minutes logical searching with a dustpan and brush, I recovered my buried keys from the road - hoorah! I then settled down to a manic day of work from home.

So, long one short, I'm on my own in England, and the Dragon and the Boy are in Taipei.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home