Monday, November 26, 2007

All I Want is to Keep My Family Together

Last week was stressful for many reasons. One reason was a presentation I had to do. I'm funny with presentations. I get worked-up and nervous for days leading up to it, and then I'm fine on the day. I never have a problem with impromptu speeches or demos, just prepared presentations. Anyway, that went all right eventually.

Then there was the dragon's immigration issues. She has to pass an exam to prove that she has a knowledge of being British. She was very stressed about it. We've spent the last 3 or 4 weeks going through the study book. She passed of course, but it was a little nerve wracking. Now we have to apply for a permanent visa, as her temporary one expires next month. We have to undergo all sorts of invasive procedures. They want all my payslips, bank account details, and letters addressed to us both at the same address. That was difficult. Then there is the little matter of he £750 fee. It could take 4 - 14 weeks to process. I'm hoping we can get it sorted before the end of next month so she can go back for Chinese New Year, but it could go wrong.

I don't understand it. All I want is to keep my family together. We have to live somewhere and we chose here, because it is my country. I don't understand why my wife has to be subjected to this indignity. I don't understand why I should have my privacy invaded. People from Europe can just walk in. It doesn't matter if they have criminal convictions, or any connection with the country or not. They can even claim benefits. We've never claimed anything.

The Australians have the right idea. To get into Australia you need a number of points. Points are awarded for educational qualifications, marriage to an existing passport holder, relative living in the country, money in the bank etc. We should do that in this country. If you don't have enough points, then you have to make them up with tests.

And on a completely different note...

The Oxford Union has invited both David Irving and Nick Griffin to speak at a free speech event. The move is controversial because both are convicted criminals and commonly considered to be racist. Irving, a historian, was jailed for denying the holocaust took place, though he has since back-peddled slightly, and Griffin, leader of the BNP party, was convicted in 1998 for inciting racial hatred after writing for an anti-Semitic publication called "The Rune". The libertarian part of me (big part) wants to concede that they are foul and offensive people but should still be allowed to speak. It's a free country after all. There is a part of me however, that is deeply offended by this because in reality, the Oxford Union is not doing this in defence of free speech, it's doing it to be deliberately provocative.

The real downside to this is that there will be protests, huge publicity, and these clowns will get exactly what they want from the event, exposure. For me, the best that could happen would be that no one would turn up.That won't happen of course. Both these men will get to have their say, and there will be fallout. Irving is just a nutter. He's not trying to cause mayhem, though he must realise he is. Griffin is a bastard that simply grabs every opportunity to spread disharmony and then blame racial minorities for the ensuing riot. The world would be better off without these people, particularly Griffin. I'm still thinking about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home