Monday, November 19, 2007

Generations

Look at this picture of Dumpy. Aside from the fact that he is of course outrageously cute, this picture is significant for other reasons.



The picture was taken in my parents' house this past weekend. That clock that you see there in the background, that belonged to my grandparents. I remember it on the wall of their house when I was a child. The chair there is even older, that belonged to my great grandfather, dumpy's great great grandfather. I remember that also in my grandparents' house. And that vase you see on the top of the chest there belonged to my mother's great Aunt Beartrice apparently. I never met her, but my mother claims she didn't like her much. I'm not sure how that came to be in the possession of my parents. That would of course be Dumpy's great great great aunt. So I really like that picture. That's six generations of family history in that one shot.

There is at least one thing that my mother owns that goes back even further. It's a silver salver presented to my mother's great great grandfather (I think). It's at least 170 years old and I used to polish it with my grandmother when I was a child. Maybe I'll try and get a picture of that next time I'm there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home